After reading Khaled Hosseini's second best book, I had my heart set on his debut, The Kite Runner. As tempting as it was, I refused to finish the book in one sitting. I savored it, word by word, line by line, reluctantly turning the pages as the novel was drawing to a close. Have you observed how following a calamity, natural or man made, the media is rife with people stories; stories that provide first hand account of what had happened and what it was like to be caught in that pandemonium. That's exactly how I look at The Kite Runner as well. As a one man's narration of how his life was influenced by the ethnic clashes in Afghanistan, and the twists and turns in the nation's political setup.
Review: Whenever an ambulance or a fire engine passes by when I am on the road, my first reaction is to say a 20 second prayer. A prayer for the well being of the person who has met with the accident, and a prayer to thank God for making me and my family to be at the right place at the right time. That's the kind of reaction that this novel invoked. After reading the book, I felt awful for what the Afghans had/have to go through and wished that things changed for the better, sooner than later. Then I felt thankful for being endowed with the privilege of leading a normal life. As boring as normal can sometimes be, I am more than willing to take it any day.
Rating: Quick read, easy to follow, compelling narration, do yourself a favor by reading this book. I rate this book as outstanding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey there! I probably have very little patience to complete a book, especially without pictures - hehe! But you are right about how wonderful just living a normal life is. It is full of tiny pleasures and gives you a feeling of insecurity when you have to part it or even less just relocate.
But one also should keep in mind, what is important is a balance. Normal life all alone could get boring as well - a good approach is to mix things up. A bit of adventure, travel, routine life, sport etc. Grass is always greener the other side; given the life i'm living now - normal life is probably much more valuable that it is for someone else :)
Life is very complex thing and the more complete you live it the more mature one gets, understanding it. Happy living :)
Post a Comment