I don't like you.
Four words we hate to hear. For some reason, we all like to be liked. No revelation there. It's how we're wired. We hate it when people don't like us - even people we don't really know. Some of us will do almost anything to be liked. We love to please, even at the expense of our own happiness, values, beliefs and standards. We compromise ourselves a hundred ways and turn ourselves inside-out trying to make others like us, but in that approval-seeking process we often forget who we are and wind up being disliked by the one person whose opinion should matter the most; us.
Newsflash 1: Some people aren't gonna like you.
Newsflash 2: That's okay.
That's right - life ain't fair and even though you may very well be a fantastic human being, some people will find a reason to dislike you no matter what you do or how fabulous you are. Chances are it's more about their issues than anything you have or haven't done. There are people who don't like me who have never actually met me or had a conversation with me. That's fine with me. I won't invest emotional energy into things I can't change. I will endeavour to be the best human I can be.
While it's normal and very human to have the desire to be needed, liked, loved and important to others, it's also crucial for our development to get clear about who we are and what we stand for, and to live a life consistent with those values - to like ourselves. Otherwise we simply become frustrated People Pleasers.
If you really want to be liked, then stop trying to be liked and start being you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment